About Podium 2012
Podium 2012 - Choral Célébration Chorale, is the top meeting place for Canada's choral community and one of the best and most accessible professional development opportunities in the country. From May 17-20, 2012, conductors, choristers, composers, educators, administrators, and choral enthusiasts of all ages and stages will gather to hear some of Canada’s finest choirs, attend workshops with leading choral professionals and exchange ideas with colleagues.
Some of the many highlights include:
- Opening Gala Concert featuring a choir of 120 voices under the direction of Matthew Larkin in a performance of Missa Gaia
- The Elmer Iseler Singers, one of Canada’s foremost professional chamber choirs, under the direction of Lydia Adams
- The National Youth Choir of Canada, featuring some of the finest young singers in the country under the direction of Ivars Taurins
- Keynote speaker Dr. Don McLean, a passionate advocate for music and community and for music as a life-changing force
- The National Choral Awards and Gala Banquet at the new Ottawa Convention Centre, hosted by speaker, broadcaster and music adjudicator, Eric Friesen
- Sir Ernest MacMillan Foundation $12,000 Choral Conducting competition
- Exciting trade show featuring the latest from music publishers and retailers, equipment suppliers, festival organizers and composers
Workshop sessions will cover a wide array of topics ranging from vocal technique and performance practice to administrative and management issues. Reading sessions will focus on the best new choral scores for all types of choirs. Concerts by some of Canada`s finest children`s, youth and adult choirs will be held throughout the event in nearby churches, all within an easy walking distance, including First Baptist, Knox Presbyterian, Dominion Chalmers and St. Joseph Churches.
In addition, the 2012 Podium will be the first Podium to be offered in both official languages. It is fitting that this project take place in Ottawa, our nation`s capital, with our strong Francophone representation and proximity to Quebec. Workshops will be led by Francophone and Anglophone choral leaders and each session will include a powerpoint presentation in the other official language. In addition, all related handouts and print material will be available in both English and French and bilingual aides will be stationed throughout the venue to assist with directions and information. Welcome to our Francophone choral friends!
Ottawa, Canada’s capital city is charming, exciting, and home to many world class museums and galleries. The conference venue is the elegant Lord Elgin Hotel, ideally located in the heart of the city and close to parks and attractions. The Lord Elgin is offering Podium delegates a special discount rate of $169.00 per night.
A joint project of the Association of Canadian Choral Communities and Choirs Ontario, Podium is managed by the 2012 Podium Steering Committee. This group of dedicated volunteers, led by Co-Chairs Laurence Ewashko and Dr. Dean Jobin-Bevans, is responsible for planning and managing the 2012 Podium. Both ACCC and Choirs Ontario are deeply grateful to the individuals on this committee who have so generously devoted countless hours to ensure a most exciting and memorable event.